I tried out a new recipe tonight from a gorgeous cookbook a friend gave me years ago called The Forest Feast by Erin Gleeson.
Kale season is in full swing so I was excited to find her recipe entitled “Kale Caesar with Polenta Croutons.” It is simple and delicious. I made a few small modifications. I am not a huge mustard fan, so I cut the mustard in the dressing in half and added an additional cloves of garlic. I also sautéed some chicken to put on top for more protein.
Here’s my version but I recommend you check out the cookbook too! It’s a good one!
Kale Caesar Salad
- 3/4 c olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 8 c kale, cut into thin strips (I did enough to fill two dinner plates heaping full)
- 1/2 c Parmesan, shredded
- 1/4 c pine nuts
- 1/2 tube of polenta, chopped into cubes
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic salt
- Olive oil for frying
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a large mixing cup using an immersion blender. Set aside.
- Mix the kale, Parmesan and pine nuts to make the salad. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat oil and add the polenta. Fry until golden brown, turning to get all sides. Set on a paper towel with done.
- Scrap the pan then sautéed the chicken in olive oil, seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic salt and oregano.
- Toss the salad in the dressing you prepared. Split between plates and top with polenta and chicken.