Whenever I find myself with a lot of eggs in the fridge, I make a dish of this divine bread pudding. Tonight is one of those nights. The recipe is adapted from one found in a cookbook all about eggs: Egg by Blanche Vaughan.
Divine Bread Pudding
- 10 slices of bread or 5 plain hamburger buns, crusts on, torn in half
- 1/3 to 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 8-10 large green grapes, sliced thinly
- 1-3/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- zest of 1/2 an orange
- 5 eggs plus 3 yolks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter your bread slices liberally on both sides. Cover the bottom of a 7×11 pyrex pan with about half the bread, overlapping slightly.
- Dot the bread with half the grape slices.
- Repeat with the rest of the bread and grapes.
- Mix together the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, orange and eggs in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread slices, ensuring all the bread is soaked.
- Let sit 30 minutes so bread can soak up the liquid.
- Cook for 40 minutes or until slightly rise and brown on top.
Eat while it’s still warm and you’ll be in heaven!