We are reaching the end of ground cherry season. I have bowls of them in the kitchen and more to be picked in the garden. So my quest for new uses continues.
This time I found a recipe for a fresh salad using ground cherries, corn, and cucumbers. I altered the original recipe quite a bit, but you can find it on Food52 if you’d like to see it.
Corn, Cucumber & Ground Cherry Salad
- 5 ears corn, husks removed
- 1 cup ground cherries, husks removed and halved
- 2 cups (about 1 medium) cucumber, seeds removed and cubed
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 20 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- 5 ounces feta, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- salt and pepper
- Boil a pot of water and drop your corn into it. Boil for 4 minutes then remove corn and set aside until it’s cool enough to handle.
- Prepare your cucumber, ground cherries, shallot, jalapeno and basil according to directions above and mix them all together in a large bowl. Cut corn off the ears and mix it in as well. Finally, stir in the feta and lime zest.
- Pour olive oil and lime juice evenly over the salad and toss to combine. Finish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
I absolutely love the combination of the sweetness of the corn and cherries with the sour of the lime juice and the saltiness of the cheese. This is one I’m saving for next year’s crop for sure!